Friday, June 20, 2008

Morning Glory Spelt and Brown Rice Muffins

My mother would be so proud of me today. Growing up she was always cooking delicious feasts and baking coffee cake, after coffee cake for everyone on the farm (including the 10 St.Lucian seasonal offshore workers!!). Every creation, whether following a recipe, or completely making it up along the way, was delicious.

So today I pulled a Sophie, mixing 2 different muffin recipes to create something I knew I (and maybe Chris) would like and be healthy.

First I mixed together all the dry ingredients - 1 cup spelt flour, 1 cup brown rice flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed, 1/2 tsp of sea salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tsp nutmeg. The wet ingredients included 2 eggs, 2/3 sunflower oil, 1/3 cup evapourated cane sugar, 1/3 cup light brown sugar and 2 tsp vanilla. I whisked the wet ingredients quickly for one minute and then added the combined dry ingredients to the wet.

Now for the morning glory part of the muffin recipe - I grated 1 red delicious apple, 3 medium carrots, 1 small zucchini and added them in. I then toasted some slivered almonds and some coconut I had around and threw that in as well. This is the beauty of the morning glory - anything really goes! Lastly I added 1/4 cup ground almonds and mixed everything together. I spooned everything into the muffin cups and put it in the preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.

I was shocked - delicious!!!!! And more importantly they looked beautiful.

No comments: