Friday, November 7, 2008

Macrobiotic Dish for Dinner

For tonight's dinner I'm shaking things up a little for us.... I was surfing around earlier today for cauliflower recipes because we haven't had cauliflower for a while and wanted to try a new recipe.

My mom used to make breaded cauliflower at least once a week and it was always so delicious. She use to boil the cauliflower and then pan-fry some bread crumbs with butter and then smother the cauliflower with the breaded goodness. Yes I know, I know.... it's a wonder how I became the healthy eating naturopath I am with a family that is traditional Polish and farmers. Meat and potatoes is definitely what I grew up on.

Anyway.... so tonight I stumbled upon macrobiotic eating and remembered how in the macrobiotic diet potatoes and other nightshades are "forbidden". So a macrobiotic version of mashed potatoes is what we are having tonight.

1 cup millet
1 clove chopped garlic
2 cups cauliflower
pinch of salt
3 cups water

Rinse the millet and put in a pot with some chopped garlic and some olive oil and heat on medium for 5 minutes stirring constantly.

Add the cauliflower, water and salt and bring up to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes and then puree everything in a blender or food processor.

Ok so I just finished eating the puree with Chris. Both of us thought it was a touch bland ... we added some fresh ground pepper to make it a bit tastier. It really did look like mashed potatoes but the texture of the millet and cauliflower before I pureed it was actually delicious.

Will definitely do the recipe again but next time no pureeing.

No comments: