Sunday, December 28, 2008

Back to Basics

Christmas was great. It was relaxing. If I take time off from the clinic it's either a non-stop hustle and bustle vacation with Chris in a new city somewhere or it's a working vacation so I can do some clinic stuff that I don't have time for during the typical work week. This has been a nice change and I'm glad we ended up both taking time off and staying at home.

Xmas was filled with the usual tradition of 12 meatless dishes for xmas eve and midnight mass with my parents.

When we got back on Saturday I was feeling relaxed and decided I needed to work off some xmas treats so I went to moksha. For the last few months I have been going to moksha flow classes instead of the regular moksha classes. They are a bit shorter in time and definitely faster paced. On Saturday though I missed all the flow classes so I went to a regular 90 minute class. It was actually a good change to go through all the postures with an emphasis on technique.... it was definitely back to basics.

Back to basics is also really important for food during this time of the year. With all the holiday treats it's important to remember the 90/10 rule - 90% of the time be good and 10% of the time you can have a treat or enjoy something special. If you are one of my patients it means doing your lemon in water in the morning or your greens, drinking enough water (2 L) throughout the day, trying to have veggies at lunch and dinner, eating protein in every meal etc.....

This is also one of the reasons I love naturopathic medicine and why I do what I do.... It's all about the basics. In today's society, with all the craziness, we forget about what we need to be happy and feel good - enough water, solid sleep, exercise or an active lifestyle, and simple, clean food.

No comments: