Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Cosmic Cookies

Everytime I visit my sister Angela in Edmonton we always end up doing a Planet Organic pit stop at some point during the day to pick up a cosmic cookie or a spelt muffin as a little treat.

Sooooooo when my friend Andrea sent me the Planet Organic cookbook in the mail yesterday I was so excited to see the recipe for cosmic cookies was included!!!!

This recipe took 5 minutes to gather the ingredients in my cupboards, 10 minutes to measure everything and mix together and 24 minutes to bake in the oven. They were the perfect snack before Chris and I headed out to the AGO for lunch at their new restaurant, Frank.

2 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups spelt flour
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup flaxseeds
1 cup granulated cane sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 1/4 tsp sea salt
1 3/4 cups dark chocolate chips
1 1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
3/4 cup canola oil (I used sunflower oil)
1 cup soy milk

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl. Add the wet to dry and mix by hand until just combined.

I used an ice cream scoop to scoop the dough onto the baking sheets and gently flattened them before baking.

Bake for 24 minutes or until lightly browned.

These cookies turned out great. I only made 12 cookies and put the rest of the dough in the freezer for another time.

Oh and the lunch at Frank was delicious as well. Slow service but we weren't in a rush so we weren't too annoyed. I had the roasted sunchoke soup to start and Chris had a mediterranean lentil salad to start. The sunchoke soup was very mild whereas Chris' lentils had a bit more of a bite to them. Both were beautifully presented and the dishes were gorgeous. I had a roasted beet and arugula salad next while Chris had the beef brisket sandwich with gruyere and frites. Both were nicely presented and flavoured.

Happy New Year!

No comments: