Thursday, December 18, 2008

Holiday Diet Diary

ahhhhhhhhhh..... the diet diary of a patient the week before xmas.........

This week is always an interesting week in my practice. Because I focus mostly on nutrition and most of my patients have to do a diet diary, most visits are preceeded by "it hasn't been the best week..." followed by explanations of holiday parties, work stress, too little time at home, too much time spent in malls.....

I must have sounded like a broken record this week. I totally understand holiday parties and wanting to enjoy some holiday treats. However the problem comes in when the parties or baked goods start Dec 1 and don't end until Jan 1.

Moderation really is the key during the holiday season. If you know that you have 2 parties during the week, the rest of the week you should try to eat well and exercise so when you are at the party you can enjoy a couple of treats! If alot of time is spent outside the home, make sure to have healthy snacks in the car or on your person at the mall, like fruits or almonds. If you have to eat in the food court try to make the best choice... focus on finding vegetables, simple foods without a lot of sauces. Sushi is always a safe bet; most fast food places have salads now (just use 1 tbsp of the dressing not all!); a stir-fry; a smoothie; always lots of options.

I could go on forever but Chris always tells me I have to shorten my blogs! He just told me I should go on the Twitter diet, the blog that only allows 140 characters!!!!

No comments: