Saturday, April 25, 2009

Parents Coming Over

What a beautiful day! I just managed to finish seeing patients at the clinic and go out for a quick run before the rain showers! I'm glad I got to enjoy a bit of the day. Tomorrow my parents are coming over to see our vacation pictures so we just spent a little time cleaning up the house (all those dust bunnies that only my mother manages to find!!!) and planning what we're going to have for lunch.

The last time they came over my dad was surprised I knew how to cook and cook well. In his mind only Zofia (my mom) knows how to cook so he's always a little suspicious of anyone elses' food especially his daughter, who again in his mind thinks is still 6 years old. Last time I made tofu frittata and roasted root veggies and the key lime pie (raw avocado pie) for dessert. He was a touch skeptical but ended up loving everything, having seconds and making sure mom got the recipes from me.

This time I'm going to go with a house family favourite that's easy but quite "creamy". I may have even blogged about this before? Arugula, roasted beets, avocado and goat cheese... the dressing is olive oil and balsamic vinegar, honey, sea salt and pepper. Half is drizzled on the beets while they are roasting and the other half is reserved for the salad.

Chris and I will run over to Roncessvalles before they get here to get some fresh rye bread and I'll have to get some butter (yes it's true - bread and butter - only for my parents!).

Tonight we're having rainbow trout, sweet potato fries, and salad. We may even have a little port as a little apertif - in Portugal at one of the wine cellars they told us it's common to have white port with tonic water and a slice of lemon.

No comments: