Thursday, April 30, 2009

Refreshing Quinoa and Shrimp Salad

About a month ago I was looking for a quinoa recipe to shake up my quinoa repetoire and came across a recipe in the NY times. I printed it off and kept it in my recipe folder (which is bulging and badly needs proper organizing!) putting a reminder in my blackberry for the following week when we go grocery shopping.

So I picked up a couple things that I didn't have fresh (cilantro and scallions) this weekend knowing that I wanted to try this recipe this week. I replaced a couple of ingredients as I typically do to make it a bit 'better/healthier'. It took about 25 minutes start to finish - it would have been less if we used leftover quinoa.

In a mixing bowl I put 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice, 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar, 1 tsp minced fresh ginger, 1 small garlic clove minced, pinch of sea salt, pinch of cayenne, 2 tsp sesame oil and 1/4 cup sunflower oil (original recipe called for canola). In a separate bowl I wanted to make a substitute for the buttermilk the recipe called for - 2 tbsp soy milk and 1 tsp lemon juice. I let the soy milk sit for 5 minutes before whisking it into the rest of the dressing.

I made the dressing while Chris made the quinoa and then we chopped up the cucumber (1/2 English cucumber, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced), 4 scallions (sliced thin), and 1/4 cup cilantro. We also stir-fried a half bunch of asparagus and a half a fennel to round out the meal.

After the quinoa was done we mixed everything together and tossed in 12 cooked and peeled shrimp (we always have a bag in the freezer for a quick protein) and dove in!

It was so refreshing. A bit of a nice bite with the ginger. Great summer salad for entertaining I think. I may toss in some cubes of avocado next time or try to concoct something that would be detox-friendly!

Ok now to find the episode of LOST we missed.....

1 comment:

s said...

Lost is now available on ATV.ca - you can watch the full episodes!! we did that last week!