Saturday, June 20, 2009

Carrot Quinoa

Chris and I just got back from a quick run before we meet our friends for brunch. We got soaked on our way back but at least we got out there!

I'm just making a grocery list as we're having some friends over for dinner tonight. Searching through the fridge to see what we have I see the leftover carrot quinoa from last night.

I tried a new recipe last night. A patient told me about it as it was from Oprah's magazine or show or something.

After rinsing and draining the quinoa, I toasted it for 5 minutes in a saucepan and then put it aside. I then put a couple of teaspoons of olive oil in the saucepain with some diced onion (1/2), diced celery (5 ribs), and diced zucchini (1). I let it heat through for 5 minutes and then added 2 cups of bottled carrot juice (Bolthouse) to let simmer for a couple of minutes. I added back in the quinoa, along with some salt and pepper and a 1/2 tsp of nutmeg. I just let it all simmer for 20 minutes until it was cooked! We had this with salmon (with fresh dill from my planter!) and a fresh Ontario tomato and some kale and cabbage salad.

Definitely a keeper of a recipe. It was delicious and I'm sure it'll be even better today with all the flavours blending nicely. I'll try some different veggies next time or see what it tastes like without the nutmeg.

Ok back to my menu for tonight.

No comments: