Thursday, June 18, 2009

Jane Fonda and Exercising

Jane Fonda just had a knee replacement. All those years of high impact aerobics catching up with the best of them I guess..... cross-training was a term back then I guess!!!

I heard this on 680 AM this morning on my way to work and got that familiar 'warm fuzzy' feeling. Immediately I remembered being 10 years old trying to do all the Jane Fonda moves in front of the tv..... then I graduated to doing the 20 minute workout every morning, (while wearing leg warmers of course), and then purchasing Kathy Smith's fat burning workout on VCR tape!!!

I know alot of my patients don't like exercising and it's so hard for them to get into a routine to be consistent because they think it's a chore. For me it's something I grew up with so it's nothing for me to think about exercising - it's not about fitting it in, it's just something I do like people brush their teeth.

I understand how difficult it must be to make exercise a part of your life in your 30s, or 40s, or 50s onward. This is why all parents must introduce activity at a young age... kids must see their parents being active too..... it's key to make those routines young. However it's never too late! Even if it is getting outside for a 10 minute power walk every morning, or skipping for 10 minutes after work, or biking around the block everyday. Being active doesn't mean going to the gym every day for 2 hours; but it does mean planning for 10 minutes of formal activity every day along with your active daily living, like walking up the stairs instead of the elevator, or parking far from the door etc.

No comments: