Sunday, July 19, 2009

Freezing Fresh Local Berries

We all (Chris and my sister Angela), just got back from visiting my parents. We stayed for the whole weekend which meant a weekend of relaxing, napping, and of course eating.

One of the great things Mom reminded me about was freezing all the local fresh berries now, to have an ample supply for smoothies and sauces. I think the most delicious dessert my Mom makes is cheesecake with homemade cherry sauce. We usually just have it for Easter but this weekend was a special request with Angela visiting from Edmonton.

My parents had been picking the last of the fresh cherries last week so this weekend we pitted a few baskets of cherries, spread them in one layer among several baking sheets so they freeze individually, and then bagged them once frozen, into ziploc bags. This is a great technique for any berry and a wonderful way to eat local for much longer time.

This is also a great weekend activity to do with kids. I know a few parents who take their kids to apple orchards in the fall around the Milton or Caledon area. What a fabulous way to get kids to understand where strawberries, or blueberries, or raspberries come from - how they grow, and how they are harvested!

2 comments:

MusicChick2 said...

Your family & their traditions sound wonderful!

I have a quick question about freezing, specifically berries (they go bad so fast!) I assume you rinse/wash the fruit tho thoroughly before you freeze. Do you have to gently spread them out on a cookie sheet (do you line pan w/paper towels or waxed paper?) & gently pat them dry w/paper towels before freezing? Or can they be wet when you put them in freezer? I'm worried they might get mushy if they're wet? Thanks!
Musicchick2

Carol Morley said...

Thank you for your comment! Yes you have to rinse and let them air dry on the cookie sheet before placing them in the freezer. I find them too fragile to pat them with paper towels and there's no need to line the cookie sheets with anything.