Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Herb Garden

My herb garden is a disaster. It looks like my mom's garden looked like in the middle of August.... picked through, weeds peeking through everywhere... ugh.

This morning I went to grab some dill and parsley to throw into my chickpea salad that I was making for lunch and was greeted by a mess. My arugula (I got 3 big family sized salads out of it!) was flowering and drying, my dill (my pride and joy being Polish!) was becoming brown, and the rest I couldn't even tell if what I was looking at was a herb or a weed!

It totally reminds me of being on the farm. My mom had a HUGE vegetable garden. Rows upon rows of potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, peppers .... The workers that stayed on the farm from St. Lucia used to love picking through her garden (much to my dad's dismay!). I remember the garden looking pristine for the first few months. It was always irrigated in the evenings and my sister Ang and I would have to weed the garden every week. However it never failed by the time tobacco harvest started in August, everyone was too busy and too tired to tend to the garden so it always fell by the wayside; still producing tons of delicious vegetables, but looking horrific!

Just more proof I have to stick to being a naturopathic doctor!

No comments: