Friday, September 4, 2009

Chermoula

I had full intentions to come home after yoga this morning, quickly clean the house and then get groceries to test out a few more recipes for my cookbook. It was also supposed to be day 1 of no cable so I thought it would be easy to focus and get things done. (YES I said no cable.... we're trying it out ... we'll see how long we last!)

Well before starting to clean I instinctively turned on the tv and much to my surprise we still had cable. Trouble. I watched Cityline and then a bit of Ellen before getting to my toilets. Finished cleaning, and made a quick grocery list before remembering my brother-in-law Dave was coming this weekend and staying with us next week. I wanted to bake and freeze a few things so there are a few healthy treats around, so I added a few things to the list and headed out.

Made cosmic cookies from the Planet Organic cookbook but substituted a few things. I did coconut flour instead of spelt flour, sunflower oil instead of canola, and the oats weren't quick cooking oats as I usually use. I baked half the recipe and put the rest of the dough in the freezer. They weren't bad but not delicious; a touch too crumbly. I also made a gluten-free apple toastie bread from the Babycakes cookbook which turned out great.

While I was baking I had the US Open Tennis tournament on in the background. I got wrapped up in a game for half an hour before starting my chermoula for our halibut tonight. Chermoula is a blend of spices, almost a paste that originates from Northern Africa. The blend of spices varies between countries but garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice are always in there. Chermoula is typically paired with fish but upon doing some research, it is also used with roasted cauliflower or chicken from time to time.

After making the chermoula I put it on the halibut fillets and then in the refrigerator. Tonight I'll bake it in the oven (350) for 15 minutes or until the fish flakes. We're having sauteed fennel and roasted brussel sprouts with the halibut.

Here's the recipe for the chermoula:
2 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 cloves garlic
½ tsp sea salt
2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
1/2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp cayenne
¼ cup - ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 large lemon

1. In a food processor, puree cilantro and parsley. Remove and set aside.
2. In the same food processor, puree the garlic and sea salt. Slowly add spoonfuls of the cilantro and parsley mixture and pulse until everything is blended together.
3. Add the remaining spices, lemon juice, and olive oil and puree.

No comments: