Friday, November 27, 2009

Dinner in a Food Court

I was on the 401 tonight crawling along around dinnertime and decided to go to Yorkdale to eat a quick dinner (ok maybe that's how I rationalized a quick shopping excursion!).

I haven't eaten in a food court in so long so I decided to have a little adventure and see what kind of healthy dinner I could find. As soon as I climbed the stairs up to the food court I saw New York Fries (banned), then Taco Villa (also banned), Mrs. Vanelli's (banned although part of my childhood shopping trips with my mom and sister!), A&W (definitely banned)....

I then spotted Cultures, Jimmy the Greek, and Teriyaki Experience. Those were the 3 I even bothered to check out their menus... where am I going to find maximum veggies? Hmmmmm....
Cultures looked liked my best bet - for $9.03 I got a bottle of water and a plate of 3 salads - beets, spinach and broccoli, and a mixed chickpea and kidney bean blend (yay protein!). They actually had 11 salads to pick from and these were definitely the most nutrient dense.

As I looked around I'm clearly in the minority with kids, teens, and adults lined up for burgers, fries, and deep fried foods. I wanted to go around and stop to talk to everyone about their meals. If I knew this was their 'once a month' little treat then I would be more likely to just look away. Something tells me these foods are being consumed a little more frequently. Ok that's my rant ....

No comments: