Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Not So Polish Beets

I went to visit my parents this past Sunday for a quick lunch and some shopping. It was great to see them as usual and of course come back with some food for the week!

I was really surprised at the beets mom made for lunch. Instead of the standard, she sauteed some onions and then added cumin, cinnamon, and nutmeg before adding the beets, horseradish, and lemon juice. She cooked it all together for half an hour or so and then bam... done... it was delicious. Of course in true mom style, when I asked her for the recipe she stared at me blankly and just said, "oh you know, to taste."

Anyway... just had some leftover beets for lunch and they were even better today then they were on Sunday!

The next trick will be Easter Sunday when I will attempt to make mom's borscht. My parents are off to Edmonton for a little road trip to visit my sister so it's just going to be Chris and I for Easter this year! She refused to write down the recipe of course so quickly explained and I'm supposed to go from there! We'll see how it goes.... I will not be reporting on this however as it this meal will not be suitable for a naturopathic blog. Can anyone say kielbasa?

No comments: