Sunday, January 16, 2011

Coconut Maple Granola

I'm forever trying new granola recipes. I used to make my own granola when I lived on my own but got off track somewhere along the way. This weekend I tried another new concotion but tried to keep it simple with all the additions. Turned out to be great! Not too sweet - which was my focus this time. I wanted to see what was the least amount of 'sweetness' that I could add to my usual amount of dried ingredients without sacrificing fun factor (as my sister would say!).

My base is usually 4 cups of grain. This time it was a bit of a smorgasboard as I had a little of everything in my cupboards.

2 cups quinoa flakes
1 cup spelt flakes
1 cup rolled oats
2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup hemp seeds

I mixed all of this together and then in a separate bowl I mixed 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/3 cup maple syrup and 1 tsp pure vanilla extract. Mixed everything together and spread it all on one baking sheet. I put it in a preheated oven of 350 and baked it for 40 minutes stirring around a few times. I let it cool for a couple of hours before storing.

Simple and so quick and I'm sure a lot cheaper than buying granola and for sure less sugar!

No comments: