Friday, February 11, 2011

Butternut Squash for Dinner

Why is butternut squash so hard to cut and peel? Ugh. Usually Chris (my husband and sous-chef) is in charge of dicing squash but he's still at work and I wanted to get a head-start on dinner.

I usually do butternut squash as part of a mixture of root veggies (parsnips, and sweet potato and carrot) and roast them with olive oil and parsley. My mom used to do butternut squash with olive oil and oregano and roast it separately. Oh and she always peeled it; never just cut in half and roasted ... my dad would complain if the squash wasn't peeled (yes my mom is a saint!).

Today I've tossed the peeled and diced butternut squash with a few tablespoons of olive oil, a little sea salt and freshly ground pepper, and a tablespoon of minced fresh thyme (I had some leftover from a meal I made on the weekend). I'm going to roast it at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or so until tender. I guess we'll see what herb I like best with squash.

So tonight's dinner: cajun catfish, roasted butternut squash, and a fresh kale salad.

FYI: Butternut squash is a great source of vitamin A and vitamin C and potassium. Great for glowing skin, and bright eyes among other things!

No comments: