Saturday, March 9, 2013

Pears for Stubborn Cough

I've had a busy couple of hours prepping food for Owen. I always like to have cubes of pear and cubes of apple on hand in the freezer to quickly mix with a vegetable so today started with making pearsauce and ended with a making a tasty chicken and thyme/broccoli/carrot/brown rice stew for him. As I was making the pears I remembered the last time I was making pearsauce. It was actually a few weeks ago for a stubborn cough I had. Now is the tail end of winter and a lot of people have been coming in with that 'change of season' minor cold with a stubborn cough. A couple of the things I would recommend to help soothe the cough is a flaxseed chest poultice and a cup of warm pearsauce. Works wonderfully for adults and kids alike! Take 3 pears (doesn't matter what kind but I like anjou), peel and slice and put in a small saucepan with 1/4 cup of water. Cover and let simmer on low for 15 minutes or until pears are nice and soft. You could put a pinch of cinnamon and grate some fresh ginger into this mixture while it's cooking or just leave as is, nice and plain and eat as is. I like to take the mixture and just run it quickly through my mini food chopper to puree it nicely so it looks exactly like applesauce. To those on March Break: enjoy the week!

No comments: